It's almost that time of the year again.. We have been lucky for many years now, please don't let your guard down. Preparedness is the key to safety. Here's an article we found that will help you and your furry family member in the event of a storm.
Did you know that your chewing gum could be toxic to your dogs? Many gums today contain artificial sweeteners to make them sugar free. One of the most common types is a sugar alcohol called Xylitol. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. At the low end of the dose, Xylitol can cause severe hypoglycemia or low blood sugar which can lead to lethargy, vomiting and seizures. At higher doses, Xylitol can lead to acute liver failure and unfortunately, death. Generally Xylitol affects dogs more so than cats, and previously chewed gum is often safe.
Believe it or not, dogs can suffer from allergies as well as cause them–in fact, allergies are all too common among canines. They can’t be cured, but they can be treated, both with medication and by protecting your dog, as much as possible, from whatever’s making him sick.
BOLO...Be on the look out!!! The Bufo Toad also know as the marine toad, giant toad and cane toad. They are brownish to grayish-brown with a creamy yellow belly. They do not have any ridges or knobs on their head and have a deeply pitted parotoid glands on their side extending down their back. When confronted by a predator these glands are able to shoot a toxin for them in the form of a white venom. The secretions are highly toxic to dogs, cats and other animals. It can cause skin irritations of humans. Fortunately toad venom toxicity is rare in cats.
Flat-faced dogs, like Boxers, Bulldogs and Boston Terriers can be cute, but their short noses also cause breathing problems. These brachycephalic dog breeds can suffer from snoring and snorting. These may seem like harmless ailments, but these common issues of short nosed dogs mean the dog's airway is partially obstructed, and this can become worse over time if left untreated.
Flower arrangements are very popular this time of the year while celebrating the Spring holidays. While they are beautiful and make great decorations in the home, it is important to remember that any arrangement containing lilies can be extremely dangerous in a household with pets. Dogs and cats can both become ill from ingesting lilies, however, felines are significantly more susceptible to the toxic effects. In cats, ingestion of this plant can cause severe renal failure. Dogs tend to exhibit signs of gastrointestinal upset. The Liliaceae family contains many genera. We are concerned with those in the Lilium (true lilies) and Hemerocallis (day lilies) genera. The following are the most common types that cause illness: