Lily Toxicosis
Mar 25
2016
Lily Toxicosis

Flower arrangements are very popular this time of the year while celebrating the Spring holidays. While they are beautiful and make great decorations in the home, it is important to remember that any arrangement containing lilies can be extremely dangerous in a household with pets. Dogs and cats can both become ill from ingesting lilies, however, felines are significantly more susceptible to the toxic effects. In cats, ingestion of this plant can cause severe renal failure. Dogs tend to exhibit signs of gastrointestinal upset. The Liliaceae family contains many genera. We are concerned with those in the Lilium (true lilies) and Hemerocallis (day lilies) genera. The following are the most common types that cause illness: